- Hans Grösse - Reoccurring character throughout the series (and has been defeated several times).
- Hans Grösse (Classic), first boss of Original Encounter and Episode One: Escape from Castle Wolfenstein of Wolfenstein 3D, and Nightmare campaign in The Old Blood.
- Hans Grosse (2009), an updated interpretation of Hans which appears in Wolfenstein (2009) and related graphic novel adaptation of Wolfenstein 3D. Intended to be the same character.
- Gretel Grösse, boss of Episode Five of Wolfenstein 3D
- Trans Grösse, boss of chapter "The Tunnels" of Spear of Destiny, and second boss of Original Encounter.
- Mans, Pans, and Fans Grösse, bosses of the Episode Six, Secret Floor, Wolfenstein 3D.
- Dr. Gross of Wolfenstein RPG
- Albert Grosse
The known members of the Grösse family are all bosses with an affinity for heavy armor and dual Chain Guns. All of them drop gold keys upon death. In fact, apart from appearance and sounds created, their game mechanics are identical.
Gretel Grösse appears to be very nearly a palette swap to Hans, having a nearly identical appearance save for color changes (and chest and abdomen differences). Trans Grösse, however, was created at a later date and is more unique. Whereas both Hans and Gretel hold their heads high with pride, Trans walks with a scowl, his head dipped in fury.
The Apogee Software/3D Realms Official Wolfenstein 3D Hint Book claims that the Grösse family is "...a large family with one sister, Gretel, and many brothers", claiming that the player should "Watch out for them in future levels!". This is an allusion to Episode 6, Floor 10, which contains three Hans Grösse bosses. They are identical in appearance and characteristics to Hans Grösse, indeed being treated as the same entity by the game, but the same manual claims their names are:
- Mans Grösse,
- Pans Grösse, and
- Fans Grösse.
This is most likely a hand wave to explain the preposterousness of having an already-killed enemy reappear three times in a single level.
- ↑ Wolfenstein 3D hintbook, pg 71
- ↑ Cloud, Kevin. The Official Hint Manual for Wolfenstein 3D. Apogee Software, 1992. Page 15. Web. (Third-party scan)
- ↑ Cloud, Kevin. The Official Hint Manual for Wolfenstein 3D. Apogee Software, 1992. Page 71. Web. (Third-party scan)
- ↑ Cloud, Kevin. The Official Hint Manual for Wolfenstein 3D. Apogee Software, 1992. Page 25. Web. (Third-party scan)