J was born in Seattle, Washington the youngest of five children. His father was a soldier in the United States Army at the time of his birth. When the nuclear bomb hit, J was badly scarred by burns and radiation, but he managed to survive. He made his way to Europe with nothing but his electric guitar and found shelter in the Kreisau Circle.
Always playing the guitar and collecting speakers and amplifiers, J plays tunes that can be heard throughout resistance headquarters. J comes off as a loner at times, but his heart is always in the right place and he cares about his comrades. His hatred for the Nazis runs deep for their attack on his family.
J is a slim-built African-American male of average height. His dishelved bed of hair is a charred shade of black. Although J always wears a mask and his face is never fully revealed, brief glimpses of it shows heavy scarring to his entire neck and the lower half of his head with his lips all but gone, likely due to a fire-related accident or radiation.
J's choice of attire consists of an old grey dress suit and waistcoat with a faded blue undershirt and brown shoes. The entire outfit is visibly tattered and festooned with scraps of fabric and wiring. He is almost always seen wearing a large pair of headphones connected to an electric guitar amplifier that he slings over his shoulder.
The New OrderEdit
When he first talks to B.J. he quickly reminds him of the injustice done to African-Americans before World War II. During his youth, J recalls how 'The Man' sent his father to war to die and examples of Jim Crow laws, such as segregated movie theaters and restaurants, ultimately comparing B.J. and the American government to the Nazis themselves.
Despite this, he quickly makes peace with B.J. by playing guitar and partaking in some recreational drugs to enhance the music.
- "I appreciate the offer and all, but, you know I've been on the run my whole life. So sick of the silence. I figure, when I'm gone, I'll be silent you know 'til the end of time, but...this moment. Right now. It's gonna be loud."
- ―J turning down B.J.'s offer to escape.[src]
Events of The New ColossusEdit
- "That boy could play the hell out of the guitar, huh?"
- ―B.J. Blazkowicz to Wyatt in The New Colossus
In Wyatt's timeline, Wyatt scavenged some of J's things from the old Berlin hideout for keeps sake. BJ states he could play the hell out of the guitar, with Wyatt replying he liked it loud. Wyatt uses J's headphones to keep the ringing from out of his ear, and finds Js psychological drugs to deal his emotional and physical pain.
- J's design was visibly inspired by Jimi Hendrix, whom he is also heavily implied to be in the game's universe.
- Both he and Hendrix play guitar left handed and use recreational drugs to improve their performance.
- J was born in Seattle like Hendrix. The game also takes place during the the 1960's, which was the time Hendrix was actively playing music. In addition, the music he plays sounds similar to Jimi Hendrix's style.
- Just like Hendrix, J's father was drafted during WWII.
- The ambient music J can be heard playing while exploring the resistance hideout sounds similar to the song "The Wind Cries Mary" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
- As his last act of defiance, J played a special rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner", whose sounds strongly resembled that of Hendrix's famous performance on August 18, 1969 at Woodstock.
- The theory is not without flaws, though, as if J is indeed Hendrix, then his appearance in the game would not match his supposed age. As The New Order takes place in 1960, Hendrix would only be 18 years old at best, which is much, much younger than how J appears to be at the time of his death.
- Though this may be because he is disfigured and has a deeper voice, possibly because it was damaged during the atomic blast.
- The workbench in J's room can be interacted with several times throughout the campaign to yield Armor Upgrades.
- The headphones J uses closely resemble the real life Koss Pro/4AA headphones. However, the Koss pair wasn't introduced until 1970. Ten years after the events of The New Order.
|Resistance||BJ Blazkowicz · Anya Oliwa · Caroline Becker · Fergus Reid · Prendergast · Private Wyatt · Tekla · J · Klaus Kreutz· Max Hass · Bobby Bram · Set Roth · Bombate ·|
|Nazis||Wilhelm Strasse · Irene Engel · Bubi · Friedrich Keller · The Knife|
|Others||Gates · Benson|