The Kar98 is a bolt-action battle rifle found in Wolfenstein.
The Kar 98 was a shortened and modernised version of Germany's venerable Gewehr 98 long rifle and was the standard issue battle rifle of the Wehrmacht throughout the Second World War. The tried and tested Mauser bolt action was known for its reliability, easy of assembly/disassembly and effectiveness, though it was slower than the action of the British Enfield due to cocking on opening the bolt rather than closing it. Despite being gradually replaced by semi-automatic/self-loading rifles like the Gewehr 43 rifle during the course of WW2, the Kar 98 Mauser still remained in service in Germany until the end of the war, and was a favourite among snipers due to its ease of assembly and reliability, as self-loading weapons had more parts and components that make them more vulnerable to mis-feeds and jams. The weapon had a five-round integral magazine fed with stripper clips, and used the 7.92 x 57mm Mauser cartridge (also known as 8mm Mauser)
The first Kar 98 is dropped in a narrow hallway after planting dynamite in Train Station, and is unmissable. Much like the MP40, soldiers equipped with the Mauser rifle are very common, and ammo is plentiful. A scoped version is used by Snipers which share the same ammo, however these soldiers inflict far more damage than scopeless soldiers, almost killing the player in a single shot.
Kar98 ammo is dropped by all soldiers equipped with the rifle, and rifles can often be found by searching lockers and ammo stores, or found in the enemies camps and checkpoints. There is also a seperate ammunition pickup, which, confusingly, consists of three pouches which appear to contain stick magazines and resembles the pickup for the previous game's Thompson ammo.
By default, The weapon is unsuited to use as a primary weapon due to its low ammunition capacity, somewhat high recoil, slow rate of fire and initially sluggish reload, but is an excellent weapon to use when faced with enemies at long range or enemies which require precise shooting. The Kar 98 can kill a Heavy Trooper in just three well-aimed shots. The bayonet upgrade transforms it into a very capable melee weapon able to kill normal soldiers and even the tougher Scribes and Elite Guards (thanks to special modifiers) instantly, and it allows the player to easily defeat Sniffers without wasting ammunition. The bayonet also comes in handy in situations in which stealth is the best course of action, such as the Officer´s House mission. The bayonet is a useful melee back up if you don't have time to reload and are cornered by enemies. Early in the game, the Kar98 will have to load each round one by one, making the stripper clip upgrade the most essential of all upgrades for this weapon, in early stages this problem can be countered by reloading after each shot. In game, there are lots of situations that you need to engage your enemies at long ranges, Kar98 is the best choice. If you have a hard time using scope, use Mire to give you more time to aim. It deals 20 points of damage, more than twice the damage of either the MP40 and MP43 upgraded. Big Bore allows it to deal 40 points of damage. Bayonet does 25. Much like the MP40, ammunition for this gun is plentiful everywhere in the game, so it is pointless to buy rounds from the Black Market.
- Ammo type: Kar98 ammo (7.92x57mm IS Rounds)
- Maximum ammo: 55
- Capacity: 5
- To refill ammo, it costs: $25
There are a total of 6 upgrades for the Kar98, with a total cost of $6,500. They are:
- Improved Rifling. Unlock: complete Train Station. Cost: $500. Increases accuracy by removing random bullet deviation, meaning rounds always hit where they're aimed thanks to a compensator installed near the muzzle.
- Silencer. Unlock: complete Train Station. Cost: $500. Decreases the noise when firing, increasing the chance that enemies will not notice shots. While not essential, it comes in handy in stealth-oriented missions
- Stripper Clip. Unlock: get 2 Intel. Cost: $1,500. Hugely speeds up loading by allowing all 5 rounds to be loaded at once rather than one at a time. This is undoubtedly the most important upgrade for this weapon.
- Big Bore: Unlock: complete Farm. Cost: $1,000. Doubles the damage the Kar 98 deals. These are incendiary rounds, which immediately explode heads of regular soldiers.
- Sniper Scope. Unlock: complete Dig Site. Cost: $2,500. Adds a long-range scope to the weapon which replaces the iron sights.
- Bayonet. Unlock: complete Church. Cost: $500. Adds a bayonet to the weapon, making it deal the same damage as a Melee weapon, making it indispensable for tight quarters and situations in which reloading of weapons is a fatal mistake.
- Kar98 is the second weapon B.J. receives in the game, despite its default selection key (5) is arranged in front of MP40's (6).
- The rifle in the Black Market photo is a late war model, as seen by the thick stamped buttplate.
- After the scope is equipped, enemies will shout that there is a sniper if BJ fires while using it. This also occurs with the MP 43.
- The real Kar98k was loaded with a stripper clip as a standard; it would not require custom fitting. Increasing the bore would rather obviously change the ammunition used, which in game it does not.
- In real life, the Kar98k could fit the HUB-23 suppressor. With subsonic Nahpatrone (Near cartridges) this reduced the audible report by 75%. Maximum range was about 300m. However, the device shown, as with other silencers in the game, is a Gewehrgranatengerät rifle grenade launching cup.
- The Improved Rifling upgrade is a section of barrel shroud from an MG 34.
- A fixed bullet is shown in the weapon's open action unless it was reloaded empty; the new rounds being inserted will be placed through this bullet model. This happens both with and without the stripper clip upgrade, and a stripper clip always contains five bullets even the gun still has unspent ammunition.
- Enemies are seen to lose limbs or heads when being hit, depending on where Blazkowicz is aiming. However some helmet-wearing enemies may get their helmets knocked off instead of getting decapitated if Blazkowicz's aiming is not precise enough. Snipers and Luftwaffe troopers cannot be dismembered, likely due to the lack of appropriate death animations, however they can be still counted as "dismembered" in B.J.'s journal.
- Kar98 can penetrate two enemy soldiers if they're lined up and are very close to each other. It can also shoot through wooden crates and kill enemy soldiers hiding behind.
- In loading screen and trailers, many Kar98 users are equipped with a scope on the rifle, but in game, only Snipers have the scoped Kar98.
|Handheld weapons||Kar 98 · MP 40 · MP 43 · Particle cannon · Panzerschreck · Flammenwerfer · Tesla gun · Leichenfaust 44 · Mdl. 24 grenade · Melee weapons|
|Mounted weapons||MG42 · Flakvierling 38 · Keiler|