The Leichenfaust 44 (lit. "Corpse Fist") is a weapon in 2009 video game Wolfenstein. Another example of the Nazis' experiments with the Black Sun Dimension. Created in the Castle of Isenstadt, it fires a spherical globe of energy that, on contact, detonates, instantly disintegrating almost any target, and levitating everything within its blast radius for a few seconds. Leichenfaust translates literally to Corpse Fist, which refers to the gun's ability to vaporize corpses.
Wielded by no enemies, it is first found in the Castle of Isenstadt during the seventh mission "Castle" and the game is designed to ensure that the player obtains it, because progress is blocked by a heavy gate that requires the Leichenfaust 44's anti-gravity effect to open. After the Castle mission they can be found scattered within several levels. Ammo pickups are also rather scarce (and very expensive from the Black Market), so use every shot with precision and care.
The Leichenfaust 44 fires a large spherical pulse of veil energy that detonates on contact. The detonation is powerful enough to completely disintegrate enemies (it is the only weapon that can even defeat the Altered with one shot!), and also disrupts gravity around the point of explosion, causing debris (and the disintegrating remains of enemies) to float into the air for a few seconds, before crashing back down to the ground; you will need this effect to open heavy portcullis-style gates sometimes, as it causes them to float upward. Like the Panzerschreck, it is not advisable to fire it at close range, as it can seriously hurt B.J. too. This weapon is useful against most enemies, but its slow projectile, tremendous damage, and rare ammo means it is best saved for use against bosses. And much like the Panzerschreck, ammo is really hard to come by until the later levels, making it one of the few weapons in the game in which it can be worth it to buy ammo from the Black Market.
There are a total of 4 upgrades for the Leichenfaust 44, with a total cost of $5,500:
- Gallium Transformer. Unlock: complete Castle. Cost: $1,000. Reduces the recharge after each shot fired.
- Nacrite Resonator. Unlock: complete Airfield. Cost: $1,000. Increases the speed of the projectile.
- Planck Refractor. Unlock: complete Airfield. Cost: $2,000. Increases the radius of effect.
- Iridium Casing. Unlock: complete Castle. Cost: $1,500. Increases the magazine size from 5 to 10. Also increases maximum ammo from 25 to 30.
- The 44 in Leichenfaust 44 indicates that it was first developed/manufactured in 1944.
- It seems to be a miniaturization of the Keiler Tank's gun, the prototype of which can found (and operated) at the test firing range within the Cannery of Isenstadt.
- Leichenfaust 44 is very likely had its name based on the German Panzerfaust, an actual disposable anti-tank weapon that also appears in Wolfenstein.
- It functions very simiarly to the BFG9000 from the Doom series of games, also by Id Software, especially the one featured in Doom 3.
- It also functions like Dark Matter Gun from Quake 4, since before impact, projectiles fired from this weapon disintegrate enemies near to the projectile's trajectory.
- The word "Leichenfaust" translates to "corpse fist".
- Another Name of it is "Leichenzerberster".
|Handheld weapons||Kar 98 · MP 40 · MP 43 · Particle cannon · Panzerschreck · Flammenwerfer · Tesla gun · Leichenfaust 44 · Mdl. 24 grenade · Melee weapons|
|Mounted weapons||MG42 · Flakvierling 38 · Keiler|
|Other||Dynamite · Melee weapons|