The MP40 (Maschinenpistole 1940) is the first weapon the player acquires in Wolfenstein.
The MP 40 was the standard-issue submachine gun of the Wehrmacht throughout World War II, until it was gradually phased out by the MP43 (also known as the MP44 or StG44).
The weapon is given to the player shortly after the start of the mission Train Station; it is located on a table, along with some grenades and dynamite. after the sewers, and the player is not allowed to proceed without picking it up.
MP40 Ammo can be picked up from dropped weapons or found in large dark grey boxes. To start with it is by far the most common weapon in the game, carried by well over half of all enemy soldiers encountered. Most friendlies will carry MP40 as well. This lasts until late in the game when SS Soldiers become common and the MP40 is sometimes less readily available than the MP43.
Being a balanced, all-purpose weapon, it has low recoil and intermediate accuracy, making it the perfect choice for most combat scenarios, and with upgrades, it can be effective at long range. Although it may deal a paltry 5 points of damage per shot, it is quickly compensated by sustained fire. The Big Bore upgrade lets it deal 10 points of damage. Because you will use MP 40 very often it's recommended to purchase upgrades for this weapon as soon as they become available, along with other conventional weapons found in the game. Since you will always find enemies armed with this weapon (as well as those armed with the Mauser and MP43) in all the missions and in the hubs, purchasing ammo from the black market is actually a waste of precious gold.
- Ammo type: MP40 Ammo (9x19mm Parabellum Rounds)
- Maximum ammo: 232 (upgrade 264)
- Magazine capacity: 32 (upgrade 64)
- To refill ammo, it costs: $25.
There are a total of 5 upgrades for the MP 40, with a total cost of $5,000. They are as follows:
- Recoil Compensator. Unlock: complete Train Station. Cost: $1,000. Reduces recoil, thus improving accuracy during sustained firing.
- Silencer. Unlock: complete Train Station. Cost: $500. Reduces the amount of noise generated by firing the weapon, thereby reducing the chance of alerting enemies.
- Drum Magazine. Unlock: complete Church. Cost: $500. Increases the magazine size from 32 to 64. This also increases maximum ammo by 32, to 264.
- Big Bore. Unlock: complete Dig Site. Cost: $2,000. Doubles the MP 40's damage. This is arguably one of the most useful upgrades in the entire game.
- Improved Rifling. Unlock: complete Farm. Cost: $1,000. Increases the accuracy of the MP 40. Also alters the iron sight.
- The Recoil Compensator replaces the entire barrel with two flash hiders.
- As with other silencers, the model used is a Gewehrgranatengerät rifle grenade launching cup, not a silencer.
- The drum magazine is a Trommel-Magazin 08, actually a 32-round magazine issued with the "artillery" version of the Luger pistol.
- It is possible to suppress the MP 40 in real life, but a suppressor and 9mm subsonic ammunition are needed to reach the maximum effect.
- The MP40 is the mainly weapon that B.J. Blazkowicz Wielding during in all cut-scene after the Train Station Mission.
|Handheld weapons||Kar 98 · MP 40 · MP 43 · Particle cannon · Panzerschreck · Flammenwerfer · Tesla gun · Leichenfaust 44 · Mdl. 24 grenade · Melee weapons|
|Mounted weapons||MG42 · Flakvierling 38 · Keiler|