The MP40 (Maschinenpistole 1940) is the first weapon the player acquires in Wolfenstein.
The MP 40 was the standard submachine gun of the Wehrmacht throughout World War II.
The weapon is given to the player shortly after the start of the mission Train Station; it is located on a table, along with some grenades and dynamite. after the sewers, and the player is not allowed to proceed without picking it up.
MP40 Ammo can be picked up from dropped weapons or found in large dark grey boxes. To start with it is by far the most common weapon in the game, carried by well over half of all enemy soldiers encountered. Most friendlies will carry MP40 as well. One disavantage of this weapon is it has very limited ammo in reserve, forcing the player to collect ammo often, the ammo reserve will dry up even faster if you have drum magazine upgrade. This lasts until late in the game when SS Soldiers become common and the MP40 is sometimes less readily available than the MP43.
While it has a good rate of fire, it has a high amount of recoil. This results in a fairly inaccurate weapon. It is useful at close-mid range, but with upgrades, it can be effective at long range. It deals 5 points of damage. The Big Bore upgrade lets it deal 10 points of damage. Because you will use MP 40 very often it's recommended to purchase upgrades for this weapon, along with other conventional weapons found in games, purchase ammunition is pointless, if you ever run low, just switch to other weapon and get the ammunition from fallen enemies.
- Ammo type: MP40 Ammo (9x19mm Parabellum Rounds)
- Maximum ammo: 232 (upgrade 264)
- Magazine capacity: 32 (upgrade 64)
- To refill ammo, it costs: $25.
There are a total of 5 upgrades for the MP 40, with a total cost of $5,000. They are as follows:
- Recoil Compensator. Unlock: complete Train Station. Cost: $1,000. Reduces recoil, thus improving accuracy during sustained firing.
- Silencer. Unlock: complete Train Station. Cost: $500. Reduces the amount of noise generated by firing the weapon, thereby reducing the chance of alerting enemies.
- Drum Magazine. Unlock: complete Church. Cost: $500. Increases the magazine size from 32 to 64. This also increases maximum ammo by 32, to 264.
- Big Bore. Unlock: complete Dig Site. Cost: $2,000. Doubles the MP 40's damage.
- Improved Rifling. Unlock: complete Farm. Cost: $1,000. Increases the accuracy of the MP 40. Also alters the iron sight.
- The Recoil Compensator replaces the entire barrel with two flash hiders. This would result in the weapon being incredibly inaccurate and also preclude mounting a silencer.
- As with other silencers, the model used is a Gewehrgranatengerät rifle grenade launching cup, not a silencer.
- The drum magazine is a Trommel-Magazin 08, actually a 32-round magazine issued with the "artillery" version of the Luger pistol.
- Its possible to suppress the MP 40 in real life, the suppressor and 9mm subsonic ammunition are needed, to reach the maximum effect.
- The MP40 is the mainly weapon that B.J. Blazkowicz Wielding during in all cut-scene after the Train Station Mission.
|Handheld weapons||Kar 98 · MP 40 · MP 43 · Particle cannon · Panzerschreck · Flammenwerfer · Tesla gun · Leichenfaust 44 · Mdl. 24 grenade · Melee weapons|
|Mounted weapons||MG42 · Flakvierling 38 · Keiler|