- "Max Hass!"
Not much is known about Max, except his name and that he doesn't like violence. As an infant, he had suffered severe brain trauma, having a third of his brain surgically removed. Rejected by his parents, he was raised in secret by his grandmother until she died of a heart attack. At some point in his life, judging from his inhuman endurance and strength, he is presumed to have been captured by Nazis as a candidate for the Supersoldier program but failed in the end due to his pacifist nature. He was found by Klaus Kreutz hiding behind some dumpsters in an alley and adopted as the latter's surrogate son.
Max Hass is a very large individual, towering over Blazkowicz and almost twice as muscular. One side of Max's head is collapsed and his hair is shaven down to a buzzcut.
He is dressed in a striped woollen T-shirt and worn leather overalls. Max doesn't wear shoes or any manner of footwear. However in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, he is seen wearing red bowling shoes.
- Immense durability: Max Hass is shown to be able to endure multiple gunshots from an assault rifle at point blank.
- Superhuman strength: Max Hass is able to dent a helmet worn by Nazi's soldier and knock them out with a hammerfist.
Max can only say his name, and is very childlike, as his room in the resistance hideout has a large number of toys and childish-looking objects.
However, in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus he seems to be capable of aiming a gun and can understand what others say, showing that the brain damage didn't entirely cripple his ability to think. Max also shows an artistic side, from creating simple kid drawings to a complex Modernist collage, all in crayon.
Despite his peaceful nature, Max displays an impressive level of strength and durability, surviving a gunshot to the shoulder, knocking a Nazi to the ground with one punch, ripping off a car door with his bare hands, and later brushing off a full-force a punch from the supersoldier body of B.J. Blazkowicz, whom he knocks out shortly after.
The New OrderEdit
Max was introduced when he greeted the Eisenwald Prison escapee (either Fergus or Wyatt), Blazkowicz, and Anya Oliwa. Most of the time, Max is always lying around at the base and playing with his toys. When the Nazis raided the Circle's hideout, Max remained hidden and saved B.J. and Klaus from Nazi Commandos by killing the Nazis with his bare hands, but was too late to save Klaus. After escaping, Max became very distraught of Klaus's passing and later helped in participating in the attack on Deathshead's Compound.
No mentioning of Max's whereabouts is made after Blazkowicz stormed Deathshead's fortress, but he is presumed to have remained on the Nazi U-boat along with Caroline and Fergus/Wyatt.
The New ColossusEdit
- "Happy Birthday, Max!"
- ―Klaus Kreutz, Max's Birthday Card[src]
Max returns, continuing to aid the Kreisau Circle in fighting the Nazis, honoring the request of his guardian Klaus who died a few months prior.
Despite his language deficiency and his child-like spirit, Max is quite talented: he beat Set Roth at a game of chess, has the highest score in Wolfstone 3D of anyone who has played the cabinet, and deciphered a book by the Da'at Yichud that both Set and Wyatt could not. He is also able to do trick shots in billiards and seems skilled in creating crayon art in the Modernist aesthetic.
- Based on his seemingly unnaturally large physique and backstory, Max is possibly a former (failed) Supersoldaten candidate and was scarred both mentally and physically by a nondescript experiment. Due to the Nazi doctrine regarding an individual's purity of form, Max's head deformity would have had him killed would it have been a birth defect.
- The fact that Max Hass is extremely pacifistic and hates all forms of violence could be a major reason as to why he would have been regarded as a "failure" if he was indeed intended as a Supersoldat. Supersoldaten are mentally formed to become aggressive and ruthless, whereas Max Hass is the exact opposite. Interestingly, his last name means "hate" in German.
- Max Hass could be a reference to the iron giant, the huge robot from the animated film by director Brad Bird. Like Max Hass, the iron giant also has a big dent in the left side of the skull, and both of them exhibit childlike behavior. (In a few situations, both also express a certain intelligence.) Max as well as the giant can not stand the sight of weapons and violence. In addition, neither Max Hass nor the robot have any memory of their origin.
- Max Hass is very kind and attached to his allies, including Blazkowicz and Bombate.
- Set Roth refers to Max as a "golem" in The New Colossus. A golem is traditionally a large, strong, and servile entity from Jewish folklore, whose primary purpose is to follow simple orders, and is assumed to be somewhat unintelligent.
- Max Hause's age is 28 in The New Collosus. However his exact birthdate is not known, so its not known if he was 27 or 28 in The New Order. The only clue to his Birthday is a card given to him by Klaus Kreutz, however this was apparently given to him before events of The New Order as there is no indication of his birthday having taken place during the course of the game.
|Resistance||BJ Blazkowicz · Anya Oliwa · Caroline Becker · Fergus Reid · Prendergast · Private Wyatt · Tekla · J · Klaus Kreutz· Max Hass · Bobby Bram · Set Roth · Bombate ·|
|Nazis||Wilhelm Strasse · Irene Engel · Bubi · Friedrich Keller · The Knife|
|Others||Gates · Benson|
|Resistance||B.J. Blazkowicz · Anya Oliwa · Caroline Becker · Fergus Reid · Private Wyatt · Max Hass · Bobby Bram · Set Roth · Bombate · Super Spesh · Sigrun Engel · Grace Walker · Horton Boone· Mary Sue 'Professor' Ellington· Paris Jack|
|Nazis||Adolf Hitler ·Irene Engel · Kommandant Gruber · Peter Trumbauer|
|Other||Sabine Vogel·Rip Blazkowicz· Zofia Blazkowicz|
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found