- Native Windows support (needs no DOS emulator), runs decently in Linux with WINE.
- Runs much smoother than vanilla on higher-end PCs.
- Native support of very high resolutions, up to 2048x1536.
- Extensive developer console.
- Automap (Tab key by default) which generates itself as you play the level.
- Simultaneous ESDF/WASD strafing and turning with mouse (like modern first-person shooters) supported.
- Improved controls menu with further customization available through console.
- Added features such as blood spray when an enemy is shot, effects when a bullet hits a wall, and optional fog.
- Original game may run better through DOSBox in some weaker systems.
- Some may feel it is inauthentic, especially with added features such as blood and automap; use of NewWolf for speedrunning is sometimes criticized.
- Apparently not supported - the most recent version, 0.73, was released March 2006 and no updates have been made to the site since then.
- Not completable - all levels are playable but nothing happens after killing the Bosses and the game cannot be ended.
- Unless the frame rate is low, the projectiles fired by Fake Hitlers travel much more slowly than they are intended to. This issue was inherited from the original Wolfenstein 3D source code (reference). More details are available here, under the heading "What's with the fast hitler fireballs?".
- The final level of Spear of Destiny cannot be accessed without cheats.
To use NewWolf, download it from the website. Extract the files from the .zip file, then place all files in your Wolfenstein 3D/Spear of Destiny directory (where your original executable file is). Run NewWolf instead of the original files.
The default keyboard layout uses ESDF, rather than WASD or arrow keys, for movement. DarkOne, and some other devoted gamers, insist that this layout is better, but the player can enable whatever layout he wants in the Controls menu.