Historically, it has been used by multiple cultures which attributed to it beneficial meanings (the name "swastika" means literally "to be good") but in the context of the Wolfenstein series, its most important use is that by the Nazi Party, who used it as their emblem. The swastika appears throughout the games of the Wolfenstein series and is included not only in the textures but the level design of Wolfenstein 3D.
The inclusion of the swastika led to the banning of the conventional game in Germany, as cultural stigma against the swastika is high there.
Wolfenstein 3D levels with swastikas in the level designEditMany levels of Wolfenstein 3D feature levels and rooms that are designed in the shape of swastikas, often to a preposterous extent. This list does not include levels that merely feature swastikas in the coloration of wall tiles.
- Episode 1, Floor 4 (map) features a wooden swastika five tiles wide, near the center of the level. A pushwall reveals a Medkit in the center.
- Episode 2, Floor 2 (map) has a region of three angular hallways connected by a central hub, which resembles a three-armed swastika.
- Episode 2, Floor 5 (map) has a main hallway in the shape of a giant swastika.
- Episode 3, Floor 8 (map) has a moderately large, very lopsided swastika-shaped hallway.
- Episode 4, Floor 5 (map) has one small room in the shape of a swastika, filled with ammo and food.
- Episode 4, Floor 8 (map) has a hefty, heavily guarded cache of supplies in the western portion of the level. The array of ceiling lights in the room is in the shape of a swastika.
- Episode 6, Floor 3 (map) is comprised almost entirely of 7 rooms shaped after swastikas.
Spear of DestinyEdit
Spear of Destiny also has some swastikas ingrained in the levels.