Wolfenstein: The New Order is an upcoming game and the ninth installment in the Wolfenstein series for Xbox 360, PS3, PC and next generation consoles. It is being developed by MachineGames, and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the sequel to Wolfenstein, and will utilise id Software's proprietary game engine id Tech 5. It was originally to be released in Quarter 4, 2013. However, it was pushed to May 20, 2014 in North America and May 23 for Europe.
Unlike previous games, it will not have a multi-player component.
- We are excited to bring a new chapter of Wolfenstein to gamers everywhere; As fans of the series, working on this game is an honor, and our team is driven to create an unforgettable action-adventure experience that will make FPS fans proud. Jens Matthies, creative director at MachineGames, Zenimax Online Press Release May 2013
The new game was first teased by the Bethesda Softworks twitter feed, before a trailer was exclusively released to GameSpot.com on May 8.
The game promises to be "A reimaginging of the series", with famed Wolfenstein hero B.J. Blazkowicz again taking on the Nazis; however unlike previous games this game takes place in the 1960's in an alternate dystopian universe where the Nazis had won World War II.
In 1946, Blazkowicz suffers from amnesia received at the height of the war due to a secret mission gone awry. For the remainder of the war and the next few decades he resides in an asylum. The Nazis arrive at the asylum many years later, intent on wiping out the sick due to their inferiority. Their barbarism stirs Blazkowicz's memory, and he escapes with the help of a nurse named Anya. The two later join the Resistance, meeting a whole slew of vibrant and interesting characters, all the while skirting around possible feelings for one another and the hope of humanity spirit to be spread once again from the free of the Tyranny.
- Wilhelm "Deathshead" Strasse - General and scientist of the Nazis. B.J.'s arch nemesis.
- Frau Engel - League of German Girls leader.
- B.J. Blazkowicz - Famed American hero and OSA agent.
- Anya Oliwa - A nurse who helps B.J. escape from imprisonment.
- Caroline Becker - Former Kreisau Circle, alive and part of the resistance against the Nazi dominion.
- Probst Wyatt III - Appears to be a former war buddy of BJ
- Fergus Reid - BJ's squad leader during the Siege on Deathsheads Castle.
- The New Order is both a continuation (as it takes place after all previous installments) and a reboot of the series (as it features new situations, settings, and story within an alternate timeline.)
- The teaser trailer features Jimi Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower", which fits as this game takes place in an alternate version of the 1960's.
- Unlike previous installments, The New Order will get rid of all paranormal elements and lean more to retro-futuristic themes.
- Blazkowicz will be older featuring light-brown hair, which will draw reference to his classic look. His age is 49, which would make Blazkowicz 35 years old when he was incarcerated.
- Wolfenstein: The New Order has a numeric health and armor system like Return to Castle Wolfenstein and does not use complete health regeneration like Wolfenstein, but a few hitpoints regenerate over time. The player needs to collect medipacks for restoring full health, and collect armor for protection bonus.
- Pre-ordering allows access to a beta for Doom 4 as being the demo of the game..
- The second trailer for the game show the Nazis have accomplished many scientific advancements, such as the nuclear bomb and space travel, feats the U.S.A accomplished using stolen Nazi technology recovered after the war.
- It is unknown whether Hitler is still alive in the game.
- It is also unknown how Deathshead constructed an arsenal large enough to conquer the entire world. It is possible that the Golden Dawn could be the key to that.
- According to the Boom Boom trailer, the Nazis blew up Mount Rushmore.
- In The New Order the Nazis have reached the Moon, something they planned to do after the war. This was the original purpose of the infamous V2 rocket.
- ↑ http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/09/no-multiplayer-for-wolfenstein-the-new-order IGN news
- ↑ Zenimax Online Press Release 8 May 2014
- ↑ http://www.gamespot.com/features/rewriting-history-in-wolfenstein-the-new-order-6408113/ GameSpot preview