Wolfenstein 3D was originally released for MS-DOS on May 5, 1992. A second game, Spear of Destiny, was released September 18 of that year. The source code of Wolfenstein 3D, which also covered Spear of Destiny, was released on July 21, 1995.
The same source code files cover both Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny, due to large amounts of overlap between the two. Code for each game is intermixed, and the compiler checks if a variable named "SPEAR" is defined to determine which code is compiled.
- Wolfenstein 3D source code in navigable HTML
- Wolfenstein 3D source code in ZIP format for download and use
Compiling Wolfenstein 3D Edit
- This section is incomplete. You may check the #External links section for other guides.
To be written
This section is needed but has not been written yet. You can help the Wolfenstein Wiki by writing it.
Unlike other Wolfenstein games whose source code has been released, the license of these files appears to be in question. The installer proclaims that the source code is a "Public Domain Release". However, there is also a LICENSE.DOC which gives a more specific license, the "Limited Use Software License Agreement". An actual public domain release would be wholly incompatible with this, but it appears that the Limited Use Software License Agreement was the intended license and the "Public Domain" proclamation was only a misunderstanding by id software.
- ↑ WOLFSRC.DAT from the Wolfenstein 3D source code on github.com
- ↑ WOLFSRC/README/LICENSE.DOC from the Wolfenstein 3D source code on github.com
- Wolfenstein 3D Source Code guide from brlowe.co.uk